The understanding Depression with CBT course is an 8-week course based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy to help people to learn ways of managing and moving forward from depression. The course aims to build a tool kit of strategies covering a range of topics, including understanding what is maintaining our symptoms, building in meaningful activities to improve mood and motivation, reducing procrastination, learning not to dwell on things, understanding unhelpful/self-critical thinking patterns and how we can rebalance these. The group setting provides the space to be with others who understand experience of symptoms of depression with the chance to learn from each other.
The 8 sessions are delivered weekly over Zoom for 1 hour and 45 minutes, typically Thursdays 12:45pm – 2:30pm.
- Session 1: How depression works – Discovering the pattern
- Session 2: Out of the TRAP and back on TRAC
- Session 3: SMART goals and values
- Session 4: Recognising unhelpful thinking and rumination
- Session 5: Problem solving – helpful techniques
- Session 6: Breaking free from mood dependence
- Session 7: Participant choice
- Session 8: Getting more of the life you want – summary of learning, how to take things forward and prevent relapse